Sunday, September 03, 2006

Selfish Sunday Knitting

I was sitting on the couch, working on a pair of socks for me this morning and got to thinking that I really need some ME KNITTING time. If you're like me, you're a pretty SELFLESS knitter most of the time...knitting for others and rarely for yourself.

I'm in this trap a LOT...owning a shop, I knit for the store, I design patterns for the store, I knit stuff for everyone else but me and that really gets to be a bummer. I don't have even one pair of hand knit socks for myself!

So, I'm inviting all of you selfless knitters out there to designate a time for YOU...and I'm choosing Sunday mornings. I vow to sit on the couch and catch up on the news with my cups of coffee and knit for ME AND ONLY ME for at least a couple of hours. I would really enjoy seeing everyone's blogs with their Selfish Sunday Knitting progress :)

Any takers??????????

Please feel free to copy the button and use it on your own blogs and sites. I would love to have a blog ring for it as well but have never done that before so if anyone wants to step up and create it for us, I'll send them a prize......A KNITTING PRIZE. Of course, you really should use this prize for yourself. I'm thinking something yummy and hand painted :)

So, while I'm on that subject, here are the sox I've been working on for a LONG time for me! It's the Yukon Leaves pattern I found online at the fab Boogie Knits site. I'm working them in an alpaca/wool/nylon blend that I'm using doubled on size 1 needles. I got this yarn on a cone for my husband to knit socks on the commercial sock machines he works with and he didn't like it so I took some off and am using it doubled. It's not washed so it feels kinda icky but I've seen it washed up and it's very nice stuff! I really like this pattern...it's a 12 row repeat and not horrible lace knitting at all. The 12th row has a k3tog that can be a bit nasty using the doubled yarn, which doesn't have a lot of stretch, but not so bad. The rest of the rows are a cake walk, really. I usually will work one 12 row repeat but this morning I did TWO! Yay ME! Trying to decide how long to make them, because my calves are kinda big and always have been...I think it was all that horseback riding (bareback) in my formative years.

Here's the other thing I'm doing for me...it's a store sample BUT I've decided to make all store samples in my size so they're mine! I'm actually farther along that this...I've started to add the color bands to the sleeves and I was up until 12:30 last night trying to find the 4th *&+#@! DP needle because I wanted to work on it. It's not in the couch, nor anywhere else I looked so it must be at the shop. If not, I'll have to buy more #6 DP to finish. UGH! It's the Mesilla Pattern from Knitty. I'll be leaving off the embroidery. I'm knitting it in a soft twist cotton I have for sale in the shop. It's like 80 cents an ounce so this cute little number can be knit for under $15.00. How cool is THAT? It's a single ply and quite soft. Let me know if you're interested in the yarn ... we can fix you up! It's available in mahogany, apple green, camel and ceil blue. There are a couple balls of dusty rose for the accents left too. I used all the colors except the dusty rose on mine

Here's a detail of the really cute picot edge that you work for the bottom, sleeves and neckline. There's some tacking down required when you work it but it's too adorable not to include:)

On my days off this week, I vow to block the pieces to the cabled merino sweater I've been working on for 2 years! I used a Vogue knitting pattern and I love it! All I need to do is block the pieces, sew them together and then pick up and knit the neckline. NEW SWEATER FOR ME! YAY ME!

THE HORRORS (and non horrors) OF MY TO DO LIST:

1. Housework ~ HORROR

2. Pluck Phoebe the Phiber Phactory english angora ~ Non Horror

3. Work on shop website and blog ~ usually not a horror

4. Cook a nice meal for my husband ~ depends on the day

5. Dye yarn for my next Scarf of the Month ~ Non Horror

6. End the day by spinning on my failed Tour de Fleece Shetland ~ Non Horror

I almost forgot! SHEEP SHAWL KAL!

We have a great bunch so far for this KAL, and we'll be casting on Mid September. At this time, everyone has been ordering kits and I have to get the orders in then mail out the kits. Join us...more brains to pick, more shoulders to cry on, more cheerleaders :) We've got a Yahoo Group going :)

OK......off to that TO DO list! GET SOME SELFISH KNITTING TIME IN ~ That's an order!

7 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Splindarella said...

Ooooh, I love it! I'm stealing your button immediately (but not your bandwidth, don't worry) and putting it on my blog: http://splindarella05.blogspot.com/

I've also set up a blogring at www.xanga.com called "Selfish Sunday Knitting Blogring." I set it up with myself as leader but will gladly transfer leadership to you. :) I haven't done anything except start up the ring, so once you join and become leader you can set all the preferences the way you want. Of course, if you don't like it or don't want to use xanga, just let me know and I can delete the ring and someone else can set up a ring on another site. :)

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger April said...

Ok this I CAN do. lmao. I'll join the Sunday knitters! I'm itching to knit something like a shawl for myself. Hmmm....maybe I should join the Sheep Shawl KAL and kill two birds with one stone! hehehe. I'm addign the button to my blog and will head over to the new ring and sign up asap.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger April said...

LOL. I joined the Sunday Knitting group and have the button on my blog. I did go over to the Yahoo group and check out the KAL, but I've never knitted lace (new to knitting) and that looks a bit over my head so I think I'll give it a miss this time and try a simpler pattern. Thanks for the information!

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Splindarella said...

Hi, I saw that you set up your own xanga blogring called Selfish Sunday Knitters, so I'll delete the one I set up called Selfish Sunday Knitting Blogring to avoid confusion.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Hi April and Splindarella! Thanks for checking out the blog and becoming Selfish Sunday Knitters. Splindarella wins a prize:) I do need Splindarella to email me though. I've started a new blog and will send you both invites as soon as I have email addies.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Abigale said...

I almost always knit for myself - so I'm a selfish weeklong knitter! But I love the idea. Let me know where the new blog is please. :-)

Anyhoo - love the top! It's beautiful - I wouldn't do the embroidery either, the colours that you have going on just look awesome together!

Have fun!

 
At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm commenting on a bunch of old posts! EZ says you can use ONE DPN of a slightly different size if you're missing the 4th or 5th needle you need for a DPN project... I noticed you mentioning missing one needle? Probably not a problem for a shop owner ;-) but you never know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home